Monday, March 24, 2014

Go Ahead...Surprise Me

Tonight I drove home in what felt like nature's version of a flash mob. If you are unfamiliar with the term, imagine everyone suddenly busting out their Thriller moves once that song is played at a wedding reception.

Out of nowhere came this flash blizzard, with flakes falling fast and furiously.  It seemed as if they were under the imperative that if they could reach the ground before we could wrap our heads around the fact that is was snowing again, they would be allowed to accumulate once more.

By the time I got home, snow covered the side of our hill. Jake, the ball chasing brown lab, didn't seem to mind.  All the more reason for a rousing game of fetch.

My snow boots (note I did not say sandals) instantly became skis as I slid down the hill to retrieve the ball.  Yes, you read that right.  I was retrieving the ball, not the dog who insists I throw it 852 times a day.  He sat up top of the hill and snickered.  Then before I could reach him, he bolted through the invisible fence with a yelp and headed for the boat ramp.

Abbey (my yellow lab) and I had no choice but to follow.  And I thought our walks in the snow were over.

My reaction to surprises is better at the start of the day than at the end. Even then it's questionable. By the end of the day I often have one nerve left. I'm ashamed to admit what might happen if someone gets on it.

This is why the impromptu snow walk was probably best for all concerned.  Nature has a way of revealing the silliness of my own seriousness.  The snow had stopped but not before blanketing the trail with just enough white stuff to make things seem especially scent-worthy to the dogs and illuminating my path. 

Because the rest of the week promises to be filled with even more end of the day adventures, this may be my last post until the weekend.  Those pesky tax preparations persist and I have a conference to attend at a neighboring college. 

So for now I will leave you with this six word summary for March... In like a lion, out like ...  

You're guess is as good as mine.  I'm sure it will be a surprise.
 
MARCH COMES IN LIKE A LAMB NOT LION




No comments:

Post a Comment