Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ten Zen Seconds

It's official.  I'm overwhelmed.

Basic math suggests adding things to my schedule without subtracting anything results in a crowded and cramped life.

But as the former Queen of Calm, I plan to dig deep into my toolkit and pull out a few tried and true time and tension tackling tips.

The best strategy for me is to slow down those racing, negative thoughts and breathe.  Last night I assigned my mind to figure a few things out while I was sleeping.  Sure enough, when I awoke, Ten Zen Seconds was the first thing that came to mind.

The irony of meditating or contemplation is we like to think we don't have time for it.  But taking a few moments to think about things, can save a lot of thoughtless activity.

It helps to know we're not alone.  And since I know I'm not the only one who might be feeling frazzled, I wrote this for all of us.

In this riot of activity
find an oasis of calm.
Breathe deeply,
slow down the thoughts,
ask for clarity,
and focus on the one thing
that flows from this moment.
Trust that finishing this sentence
is the best way to be here now
and honoring the present moment
is the only guarantee
we'll even be aware of our future.

Ten Zen Seconds
is all it takes...
I am equal to this task,
to my life,
to all I have chosen to take on now...
despite the part of me who wants to dispute that
and do nothing more than watch tv and consume carbs.
But the wise part of me knows better,
knows I can do this,
I can make informed nutritional choices,
manage my time,
and focus my energies.

Other people handle far more than I do every day.
Even though comparing myself to them
doesn't diminish my load,
it does remind me that 
I can figure this out and
I chose to take this on.

Breathe in compassion, breathe out judgment and criticism.
Breathe in openness and spaciousness, breathe out fear and constriction.
There is enough time, energy, money, love, forgiveness, understanding.
Breathe it all in. Breathe it all out.
Then
       just
            breathe.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment