Saturday, January 4, 2014

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Oh, the weather outside is frightening.  And by all accounts, it's only going to get worse. 

Although I have heard of temperatures like 50 below zero in Antarctica, Alaska, or any number of places in Russia, I've never experienced them in Iowa.  (I might have experienced them in Minnesota had I chosen an ice fishing expedition to International Falls this winter instead of the fishing trip/writing retreat last summer.)  However, it looks like I have a chance of experiencing them as early as tomorrow. 

I shudder at the thought.  Literally.

This would be an excellent time to channel my inner Elsa from the movie Frozen.  I could dance about singing, "The cold never bothered me anyway!"

How these characters can make the ice and snow look like so inviting is part of the magic of movies... at least animated ones.  I know I, for one, would never go out in the cold in a sleeveless dress and heels and cast aside my only pair of gloves.

The key to surviving this winter wonderland existence is to be prepared.  Since I don't enjoy the cold but deem it necessary to brave it on a regular basis, I've learned to layer.  Not a day goes by when I don't have a pair of Cuddl Duds nearby (and they now come in fleece, hallelujah!), ready to complete any outfit.  

I also got a beautiful pair of warm, pink coveralls for Christmas.  When I wear them I bear a slight resemblance to the Poppin Fresh Doughgirl.  Since sporting them is for the greater good of staying active, I don't care if the neighbors refer to me as that Crazy Poppin Pink Lady at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Hats, scarves, boots, and a coat in every color - or is that a coat of many colors? - complete my winter wardrobe.  Warm is the new black.  It dictates my every fashion choice.  My fashion designer niece would totally disown me for admitting, let alone blogging, about such a thing. Given my Christmas coveralls, she might already have done so since she would argue if it's not flattering, it's not fashionable.
 

Thriving in the winter requires not just going the extra quarter mile in terms of preparing the body but also in terms of preparing the mind. Today my guy Bob and I were having lunch at a place that in the summer is swarmed with bikers.  I asked him what he thought bikers did on days like this.  Without hesitation he replied, "Snowmobile!"

And wouldn't you know, within moments we spotted some kamikaze snowmobilers having what looked like the time of their lives zipping around the very snow we were treading gingerly through.

As Jim Carey in The Grinch stated, "one man's garbage is another man's potpourri."   

While I may not like the snow and ice and cold, I'm guessing skiers do.  At least the snow part.  Winter Olympic athletes must as well.  Ice fishermen  seem to, although they sometimes seem intoxicated as well. Businesses that sell winter gear should appreciate the demand for their products.


So for the next few days I'm going to dig down deep, bust out the bravado and do my best to stay warm and safe and dry.


That will undoubtedly require some hot cocoa. Let me grab some and I'll meet you back here in front of the virtual camp fire tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment